Bindoon, a charming town located 84 kilometers from Perth city on the Great Northern Highway, is a hidden gem within the Shire of Chittering. Known for its picturesque landscapes, lush vineyards, and unique attractions, Bindoon offers a delightful escape for nature lovers, foodies, and adventure seekers. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the region as you uncover the hidden treasures and embark on an extraordinary journey through Bindoon, WA Australia.
In this comprehensive guide, we unveil the top things to do in Bindoon, from exploring serene forests and stargazing at an observatory to savoring local wines and embarking on culinary adventures. Get ready to discover the enchanting world of Bindoon and create unforgettable memories in this captivating destination.
Things To Do In Bindoon, WA
1. Chittering Visitor Centre – Discover Bindoon’s Hidden Gems
Begin your adventure in Bindoon at the Chittering Visitor Centre, the perfect starting point to gather information about the region and local attractions. The friendly staff are more than happy to provide recommendations and insider tips on the best places to visit, ensuring you make the most of your time in Bindoon. The visitor centre also offers a range of local souvenirs and gifts, allowing you to take a piece of Bindoon home with you.
While you’re there, don’t forget to explore the beautiful surroundings of the visitor centre. Take a leisurely stroll through the picturesque gardens, and immerse yourself in the tranquil atmosphere. With its central location in Bindoon town center, the Chittering Visitor Centre is the ideal place to kick off your Bindoon adventure.
- Address: 6180 Great Northern Highway, Bindoon, WA 6502
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm, Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 2:30 pm
- Distance from town: Located in Bindoon town center
2. Caversham Wildlife Park – Encounter Australia’s Unique Wildlife
Experience the wonders of Australian wildlife at Caversham Wildlife Park, located nearby in Whiteman. This popular attraction is home to a diverse range of native animals, including kangaroos, koalas, wombats, and more. Get up close and personal with these amazing creatures as you hand-feed kangaroos, cuddle a koala, or watch a live wombat show.
Caversham Wildlife Park is committed to conservation and education, providing visitors with a deeper understanding of Australia’s unique fauna. With its interactive exhibits, engaging shows, and friendly staff, the park offers an unforgettable experience for visitors of all ages.
- Address: Whiteman Park, Lord Street, Whiteman, WA 6068
- Opening Hours: Daily 9 am to 5:30 pm
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 68 km or 1 hour drive from Bindoon town center
3. Kings Park and Botanic Garden – A Green Oasis in the City
Discover the beauty of Kings Park and Botanic Garden, a sprawling park in Perth with stunning gardens, walking trails, and panoramic views of the city. Wander through the manicured gardens, showcasing a diverse range of native and exotic plants. The park also features several walking trails, perfect for a leisurely stroll or a more challenging hike.
Take in the breathtaking views of Perth’s skyline from the park’s various lookout points, or simply relax on the lush lawns and enjoy a picnic. Kings Park and Botanic Garden is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and those seeking a tranquil escape from the city.
- Address: Fraser Avenue, Perth, WA 6005
- Opening Hours: Park is open 24/7, Visitor Information Centre open daily 9:30 am to 4 pm
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 84 km or 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
4. Swan Valley – A Taste of Western Australia’s Wine Country
Explore the renowned Swan Valley wine region, just a short drive from Bindoon. Visit Cowalla Estate Winery and Avonbrook Wines for wine tastings, and sample the unique flavors of the region. Cowalla Estate Winery is known for its friendly atmosphere and delicious wines, while Avonbrook Wines offers a range of award-winning wines in a picturesque setting.
In addition to wineries, Swan Valley also boasts a variety of breweries and food experiences, making it a haven for foodies and wine enthusiasts alike. Discover the region’s culinary delights as you embark on a gastronomic adventure through Swan Valley.
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 60 km or 50 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
- Cowalla Estate Winery: 35 Hamersley Road, Caversham, WA 6055
- Avonbrook Wines: 159 Memorial Avenue, Baskerville, WA 6056
5. Yanchep National Park – Nature’s Wonderland
Immerse yourself in the beauty of Yanchep National Park, a stunning park with walking trails, caves, and opportunities to spot koalas and kangaroos. Wander through the park’s diverse landscapes, from lush forests to rugged coastal cliffs, and discover the unique flora and fauna that call the park home.
Explore the park’s fascinating caves, such as the Crystal Cave, and learn about the area’s geological history. Yanchep National Park also offers a range of recreational activities, including picnicking, birdwatching, and fishing. With its breathtaking scenery and diverse attractions, Yanchep National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers.
- Address: Yanchep Beach Road, Yanchep, WA 6035
- Opening Hours: Park is open 24/7, Visitor Centre open daily 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 100 km or 1 hour and 20 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
6. Scarborough Beach – Sun, Surf, and Sand
Experience the quintessential Australian beach lifestyle at Scarborough Beach, a popular spot for swimming, surfing, and relaxing. With its pristine white sands and crystal-clear waters, the beach is an ideal destination for sunbathing, beachcombing, or simply enjoying the ocean views. For those seeking adventure, the beach offers excellent surfing conditions, with waves suitable for both beginners and experienced surfers.
Scarborough Beach also features a range of amenities, including cafes, restaurants, and shops, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable day at the beach. As the sun sets, take a leisurely stroll along the beachfront promenade and soak in the vibrant atmosphere of this coastal gem.
- Address: The Esplanade, Scarborough, WA 6019
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 90 km or 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
7. West Coast Honey – A Sweet Taste of Bindoon
Delight your taste buds at West Coast Honey, a honey farm offering honey tastings and beekeeping experiences. Sample a variety of delicious honeys, from the classic eucalyptus to the unique red gum, and learn about the fascinating world of bees and honey production. The friendly staff are passionate about their craft and are more than happy to share their knowledge with visitors.
In addition to honey tastings, West Coast Honey also offers a range of honey-based products, such as beeswax candles, honeycomb, and honey-infused skincare. Don’t forget to pick up some sweet souvenirs to take home and share with friends and family.
- Address: 172 Gingin Road, Neergabby, WA 6503
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm, Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 4 pm
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 40 km or 35 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
8. Julimar State Forest – A Serene Escape
Escape to the tranquil Julimar State Forest, a serene forest area perfect for bushwalking and birdwatching. Wander through the lush foliage and towering trees, and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature. Keep an eye out for native wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, and a variety of bird species that call the forest home.
Julimar State Forest offers a range of walking trails, catering to different fitness levels and interests. Whether you’re seeking a leisurely stroll or a more challenging hike, the forest provides a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 20 km or 25 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
9. A Taste of Chittering – Celebrate Bindoon’s Culinary Delights
Experience the flavors of Bindoon at A Taste of Chittering, a food and wine festival held in October showcasing local produce. The event features a range of food stalls, wine tastings, cooking demonstrations, and live entertainment, providing a fun-filled day for the whole family. Sample delicious dishes made from fresh, local ingredients, and discover the unique flavors of the region.
In addition to the culinary delights, A Taste of Chittering also offers a range of activities for children, making it a fantastic day out for families. With its vibrant atmosphere and mouthwatering offerings, the festival is a must-visit for foodies and those seeking a taste of Bindoon’s culinary scene.
- Distance from Bindoon: The event takes place at various locations within the Chittering Valley region
10. Golden Grove Orchard – Pick Your Own Fruit
Embrace the farm-to-table experience at Golden Grove Orchard, a fruit orchard in Lower Chittering offering fruit picking experiences. Wander through the rows of fruit trees, and pick your own fresh, juicy produce straight from the source. The orchard grows a variety of fruits, including oranges, mandarins, and lemons, depending on the season.
Golden Grove Orchard also offers tractor rides, giving visitors a unique insight into the workings of the farm. After a day of fruit picking, relax at the on-site cafe and enjoy a delicious meal made from fresh, local ingredients. With its picturesque setting and fun activities, Golden Grove Orchard is a delightful destination for families and food lovers alike.
- Address: 1378 Chittering Road, Lower Chittering, WA 6084
- Distance from Bindoon: Approximately 20 km or 20 minutes drive from Bindoon town center
Towns Nearby Bindoon, WA
Here are some nearby towns/suburbs around Bindoon, WA Australia, along with their highlights, attractions, distance from Bindoon, and reasons why they are worth visiting:
- Lower Chittering, WA (approximately 20 km from Bindoon): Located in the picturesque Chittering Valley, Lower Chittering is known for its beautiful scenery, vineyards, and orchards. It’s an ideal destination for nature lovers and those seeking a peaceful escape from the city.
- Muchea, WA (approximately 40 km from Bindoon): A small town with a rich agricultural history, Muchea is home to the Muchea Livestock Centre, one of the largest saleyards in Western Australia. The town offers a glimpse into the region’s farming heritage and is a great stop for those interested in rural life.
- Wannamal, WA (approximately 30 km from Bindoon): A rural locality in the Shire of Chittering, Wannamal is surrounded by picturesque farmland and natural beauty. It’s a great destination for those looking to explore the countryside and enjoy the tranquility of rural Western Australia.
- Bullsbrook, WA (approximately 50 km from Bindoon): Located near the junction of the Great Northern Highway and the Brand Highway, Bullsbrook offers a range of attractions and activities, including The Maze, Home of Outback Splash, a family-friendly destination with mazes, water slides, and mini-golf.
- Swan Valley, WA (approximately 60 km from Bindoon): As Western Australia’s oldest wine-growing region, Swan Valley is a must-visit for wine enthusiasts. The area is home to numerous wineries, breweries, and distilleries, as well as a range of gourmet food producers and restaurants.
Getting To Bindoon, WA
To get to Bindoon, WA Australia from common destinations or origins as a local tourist, you have several options for both public transport and driving.
From Perth CBD:
- By public transport: Unfortunately, there is no direct public transport from Perth to Bindoon. You would need to take a train to Midland and then catch more than one bus. It is recommended to contact local accommodations or attractions in Bindoon, as they might offer pick-up services for visitors.
- By car: Drive north on the Great Northern Highway for approximately 84 km. The drive takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, depending on traffic.
From other nearby towns:
- From Lower Chittering, WA: Drive east on Chittering Road for about 20 minutes or 20 km.
- From Muchea, WA: Drive north on the Great Northern Highway for about 40 minutes or 40 km.
- From Wannamal, WA: Drive south on the Great Northern Highway for about 30 minutes or 30 km.
- From Bullsbrook, WA: Drive north on the Great Northern Highway for about 45 minutes or 50 km.
- From Swan Valley, WA: Drive north on the Great Northern Highway for about 50 minutes or 60 km.
For public transport options from other nearby towns, it is best to contact local accommodations or attractions in Bindoon, as they might offer pick-up services for visitors or have information on available transport options.