Nestled along the picturesque coastline of South Australia, Stansbury is a charming seaside town that offers a delightful blend of natural beauty, outdoor adventures, and local culture. Located about 220 km from Adelaide, this enchanting destination is the perfect escape for those seeking a tranquil retreat amidst stunning landscapes and captivating attractions.
Join us as we uncover the hidden gems and reveal the top things to do in Stansbury, SA, a captivating coastal haven that promises unforgettable experiences. Immerse yourself in the town’s natural wonders, delve into its rich history, and embark on a remarkable journey through the enchanting world of Stansbury, SA.
Things To Do In Stansbury, SA
1. Stansbury Museum – A Glimpse into Local History
Step back in time and explore the rich history of Stansbury at the Stansbury Museum. Housed in a charming heritage building, the museum showcases a fascinating collection of artifacts, photographs, and memorabilia that tell the story of the town’s past. Learn about the region’s maritime history, the early settlers, and the development of the local industries.
The museum’s friendly volunteers are always on hand to share their knowledge and answer any questions you may have. This hidden gem is perfect for history buffs and those looking to gain a deeper understanding of Stansbury’s heritage. Make sure to stop by the museum during your visit to this charming coastal town.
- Address: 11 St Vincent St, Stansbury SA 5582, Australia
- Opening Hours: Open on Sundays and public holidays, 2 pm to 4 pm
2. Stansbury Jetty – A Coastal Haven for Fishing Enthusiasts
Stansbury Jetty is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking a serene coastal experience. This popular spot is perfect for fishing enthusiasts, offering the chance to catch a variety of fish species while enjoying the picturesque views of the ocean. The jetty is also a fantastic spot for photography, with stunning sunrises and sunsets that paint the sky in vibrant hues.
Take a leisurely stroll along the jetty and soak in the tranquil atmosphere, or simply sit and watch the boats gently bobbing in the water. The jetty is also a great place for birdwatching, with numerous seabirds frequenting the area. Don’t forget to pack a picnic and enjoy a relaxing meal by the water’s edge, making the most of the beautiful surroundings.
- Best time of the year: Summer and autumn, when the weather is warmer and more suitable for outdoor activities.
- Address: Stansbury Jetty, Stansbury SA 5582, Australia
3. Pacific Estate Oysters – A Taste of the Sea
For a unique culinary experience, visit Pacific Estate Oysters and indulge in the freshest oysters straight from the farm. Learn about the oyster farming process and witness the harvesting of these delicious mollusks. The knowledgeable staff will guide you through the different oyster varieties and share fascinating insights into the world of oyster farming.
Savor the taste of freshly shucked oysters and appreciate the delicate flavors that make them a sought-after delicacy. This unforgettable experience is a must for seafood lovers and those looking to try something new during their visit to Stansbury. Don’t miss the opportunity to take home some of these mouthwatering oysters to enjoy later or share with friends and family.
- Address: 37 Oyster Bay Rd, Stansbury SA 5582, Australia
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as oysters are available throughout the year.
4. Stansbury Walking Trail – A Scenic Coastal Adventure
Discover the natural beauty of Stansbury’s coastline along the Stansbury Walking Trail. This picturesque trail takes you on a journey through diverse landscapes, from sandy beaches to rugged cliff tops. Enjoy the stunning views of the ocean and keep an eye out for the local wildlife, including seabirds and dolphins frolicking in the waves.
The trail is suitable for all fitness levels, with some sections being wheelchair-friendly. Take your time to explore the various lookout points and rest stops along the way, where you can soak in the breathtaking scenery and snap some memorable photos. The Stansbury Walking Trail is an ideal way to experience the best of the town’s coastal charm.
- Address: Stansbury Walking Trail, Stansbury SA 5582, Australia
- Best time of the year: Spring and autumn, when the weather is mild and comfortable for walking.
5. Barley Stacks Wines – A Taste of Local Wine Culture
Immerse yourself in the world of South Australian wines at Barley Stacks Wines, a local winery offering tastings and a relaxing atmosphere. Set amidst picturesque vineyards, this charming winery is the perfect place to unwind and sample some of the region’s finest wines. Try their award-winning Shiraz and Viognier wines, which showcase the unique flavors of the local terroir.
The friendly staff at Barley Stacks Wines are always happy to share their knowledge and passion for winemaking, making your visit both enjoyable and informative. Don’t forget to take a stroll through the vineyards and appreciate the beauty of the surrounding landscape. A visit to Barley Stacks Wines is a must for any wine lover exploring the Stansbury area.
- Address: 159 Lizard Lodge Rd, South Kilkerran SA 5573, Australia
- Opening Hours: Daily, 10 am to 5 pm
- Distance from town: Approximately 20 km from Stansbury
6. Watsacowie Brewing Company – A Craft Beer Experience
Indulge in the flavors of locally crafted beers at Watsacowie Brewing Company, located in nearby Minlaton. This cozy brewery offers a range of unique beers, including their popular Jazzy Red Ale, Shark Tooth IPA, and Watseltz Cerveza. The welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff make it the perfect place to unwind and sample some delicious brews.
Take a tour of the brewery and learn about the brewing process, from the selection of ingredients to the final product. The knowledgeable staff will guide you through the different beer varieties and share their passion for craft brewing. Don’t miss the opportunity to take home some of your favorite beers to enjoy later or share with friends and family.
- Address: 11A Maitland Rd, Minlaton SA 5575, Australia
- Opening Hours: Thursday to Sunday, 11 am to 5 pm
- Distance from town: Approximately 30 km from Stansbury
7. Edithburgh Jetty – A Scenic Coastal Escape
Located in the nearby town of Edithburgh, the Edithburgh Jetty is a picturesque spot for fishing, swimming, and snorkeling. The crystal-clear waters and abundant marine life make it an ideal location for underwater exploration. Dive into the ocean and discover the vibrant coral reefs, teeming with colorful fish and other fascinating sea creatures.
The jetty is also a great place to relax and soak in the stunning coastal views. Take a leisurely stroll along the jetty, watch the boats go by, or simply sit and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. The Edithburgh Jetty is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking a scenic coastal adventure.
- Address: Edithburgh Jetty, Edithburgh SA 5583, Australia
- Best time of the year: Summer and autumn, when the weather is warmer and more suitable for water activities.
8. Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park – A Nature Lover’s Paradise
Explore the breathtaking beauty of Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park, with its stunning beaches, rugged cliffs, and diverse wildlife. This expansive park offers a range of outdoor activities, from hiking and birdwatching to fishing and surfing. Discover the park’s many walking trails, which take you through diverse landscapes and offer spectacular views of the coastline.
One of the park’s highlights is the historic Cape Spencer Lighthouse, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding area. Don’t miss the opportunity to spot some of the park’s native wildlife, including kangaroos, emus, and a variety of bird species. Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Address: Innes National Park, Marion Bay SA 5575, Australia
- Best time of the year: Spring and autumn, when the weather is mild and comfortable for exploring.
9. Cape Spencer Lighthouse – A Beacon of History and Scenic Views
Perched on the rugged cliffs of Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park, the Cape Spencer Lighthouse offers a fascinating glimpse into the region’s maritime history. This historic lighthouse has guided ships along the treacherous coastline for over a century. Climb to the top for breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscape, including the azure waters of the ocean and the dramatic cliffs that define the coastline.
The lighthouse is accessible via a short walk from the nearby car park, making it an easy addition to your visit to Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the stunning views and the striking architecture of the lighthouse itself.
- Address: Cape Spencer Lighthouse, Innes National Park, Marion Bay SA 5575, Australia
10. Moonta Bay Jetty – A Picturesque Coastal Retreat
Moonta Bay Jetty is another popular spot for fishing and enjoying the coastal views, located in Moonta Bay. The jetty offers a peaceful setting for a leisurely stroll, with the gentle sound of waves lapping against the shore. Cast a line and try your luck at catching some of the local fish species, or simply sit back and enjoy the view.
The jetty is also a great spot for photography, with beautiful sunsets that paint the sky in vibrant colors. Make sure to visit Moonta Bay Jetty during your stay in Stansbury for a relaxing and scenic coastal experience.
- Address: Moonta Bay Jetty, Moonta Bay SA 5558, Australia
- Best time of the year: Summer and autumn, when the weather is warmer and more suitable for outdoor activities.
11. Stansbury Seaside Markets – A Vibrant Shopping Experience
The Stansbury Seaside Markets offer a lively shopping experience, with a variety of stalls selling everything from local produce to handmade crafts. Held on selected Saturdays from October to April, the markets are a great place to pick up unique souvenirs and gifts, or simply browse the stalls and soak in the bustling atmosphere.
In addition to shopping, the markets also feature live entertainment and activities for the whole family to enjoy. Don’t miss the opportunity to experience the vibrant local culture and support small businesses at the Stansbury Seaside Markets.
- Address: Stansbury Foreshore, Stansbury SA 5582, Australia
- Opening Hours: Held on selected Saturdays from October to April, 9 am to 1 pm
12. Troubridge Island – A Tranquil Island Getaway
Troubridge Island, located near Edithburgh, is a picturesque island perfect for a day trip or a weekend escape. The island boasts pristine sandy beaches, crystal-clear waters, and abundant birdlife, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers and beach enthusiasts alike.
Spend your day exploring the island’s walking trails, swimming in the turquoise waters, or simply relaxing on the beach with a good book. Troubridge Island offers a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of daily life, providing a serene setting to unwind and connect with nature.
- Address: Troubridge Island, Edithburgh SA 5583, Australia
- Best time of the year: Summer and autumn, when the weather is warmer and more suitable for island exploration.
Towns Nearby Stansbury, SA
Here are some nearby towns/suburbs around Stansbury, SA, along with their highlights, attractions, distance from Stansbury, and reasons why they are worth visiting:
- Yorketown, SA (32 km from Stansbury): Known for its agricultural heritage, Yorketown is a charming town surrounded by picturesque farmland. Visit the Yorketown Historical Society Museum to learn about the region’s history and explore the local shops and cafes.
- Edithburgh, SA (19 km from Stansbury): A coastal town with beautiful beaches, Edithburgh is perfect for swimming, fishing, and snorkeling. Don’t miss the Edithburgh Jetty, the Troubridge Island, and the Edithburgh Tidal Pool.
- Minlaton, SA (30 km from Stansbury): Home to the Watsacowie Brewing Company, Minlaton is a must-visit destination for craft beer enthusiasts. The town also offers a range of cafes, restaurants, and shops to explore.
- Port Vincent, SA (45 km from Stansbury): A popular holiday destination, Port Vincent offers stunning beaches, excellent fishing opportunities, and a range of water sports. Visit the Port Vincent Marina and the Port Vincent Walking Trail for beautiful coastal views.
- Warooka, SA (45 km from Stansbury): Known as the gateway to the bottom end of Yorke Peninsula, Warooka is a small town with a strong agricultural history. Explore the local shops and cafes, and enjoy the scenic drives through the surrounding countryside.
- Ardrossan, SA (80 km from Stansbury): A coastal town with a rich maritime history, Ardrossan is home to the Ardrossan Jetty, a popular spot for fishing and crabbing. The town also offers a range of cafes, restaurants, and shops.
- Marion Bay, SA (95 km from Stansbury): Located near the entrance of Dhilba Guuranda-Innes National Park, Marion Bay is an ideal base for exploring the park’s stunning beaches, rugged cliffs, and diverse wildlife. The town offers a range of accommodation options, cafes, and restaurants.
- Moonta Bay, SA (100 km from Stansbury): With its beautiful beaches and historic jetty, Moonta Bay is a popular destination for swimming, fishing, and coastal walks. Visit the Moonta Mines Museum to learn about the region’s mining history and explore the local shops and cafes.
Getting To Stansbury, SA
To get to Stansbury, SA from common destinations or origins as a local tourist, you have several options for both public transport and driving.
From Adelaide CBD:
- By bus: Take the Yorke Peninsula Coaches service from Adelaide Central Bus Station to Stansbury. The journey takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes. Check their website for schedules and ticket information.
- By car: Drive west on the A1 (Port Wakefield Road) and then take the Yorke Highway (B85) towards Ardrossan. Turn left onto the St Vincent Highway (B86) and follow it to Stansbury. The drive takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
From other nearby towns:
- From Yorketown: Drive north on the St Vincent Highway (B86) for about 30 minutes or 32 km.
- From Edithburgh: Drive west on the Edithburgh-Stansbury Road for about 20 minutes or 19 km.
- From Minlaton: Drive south on the Minlaton-Stansbury Road for about 30 minutes or 30 km.
For public transport options from other nearby towns, use the South Australia Public Transport Services (https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au) website or app to plan your journey, as it provides detailed information on bus routes, schedules, and ticketing. However, please note that public transport options in the Yorke Peninsula region may be limited, and driving might be the most convenient way to travel between towns.