Nestled along the stunning Sapphire Coast of New South Wales, Eden is a picturesque coastal town that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, rich history, and exciting outdoor adventures. Located about 478 km south of Sydney and 553 km east of Melbourne, Eden is an ideal destination for nature lovers, beach enthusiasts, and those seeking a serene escape from the bustling city life.
Join us as we unveil the hidden treasures and share the top things to do in Eden, NSW, a captivating coastal gem. Get ready to immerse yourself in the natural wonders, explore the fascinating history of whaling, and embark on an extraordinary journey through the enchanting world of Eden, NSW.
Things To Do In Eden, NSW
1. Killer Whale Museum
Discover the fascinating history of whaling and the unique relationship between killer whales and whalers in Eden at the Killer Whale Museum. This museum houses a vast collection of artifacts, including the skeleton of “Old Tom,” a famous orca that once roamed the waters of Eden. The museum is highly rated on TripAdvisor and has an active Instagram presence, making it a must-visit attraction for anyone interested in maritime history and marine life.
- Address: 184 Imlay St, Eden NSW 2551, Australia
- Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:15 am – 3:45 pm, Sunday: 11:15 am – 3:45 pm
- Best time of the year: May to November, when humpback and southern right whales can be spotted in Twofold Bay.
2. Green Cape Lighthouse
Experience breathtaking views of the coastline and spot whales during migration season at the Green Cape Lighthouse. This historic lighthouse, located at the tip of Green Cape, is the southernmost lighthouse in New South Wales and Australia’s first concrete lighthouse. Join a guided heritage tour to climb the lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of Disaster Bay. The lighthouse is a popular attraction on TripAdvisor and Instagram, making it a must-see for any visitor to the area.
- Address: 2086 Green Cape Lighthouse Rd, Green Cape, NSW, 2551
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday and some weekends during peak holiday periods, 10 am – 3 pm.
- Best time of the year: September to November, when whales can be spotted during their migration season.
3. Light to Light Walk
Embark on the Light to Light Walk, a beautiful coastal walk in Ben Boyd National Park that stretches 30 km between Boyds Tower and Green Cape Lighthouse. This moderate hike offers vast ocean views, secluded swimming coves, and dramatic headlands. The walk is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and frequently featured on Instagram, making it a perfect outdoor adventure for nature lovers and hiking enthusiasts.
4. Lake Curalo Boardwalk
Take a leisurely stroll along the Lake Curalo Boardwalk, a 6 km walk that circles the entire lake and joins with the Asling’s Beach Maritime Walk. The boardwalk offers picturesque views of the coastal estuary’s shoreline and is a popular spot for birdwatching. The walk is accessible for prams, wheelchairs, and bikes, making it an enjoyable activity for visitors of all ages and abilities.
- Address: Lake Curalo, Eden, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the boardwalk is accessible in all seasons.
5. Whale Watching with Cat Balou Cruises
Experience an unforgettable whale-watching adventure with Cat Balou Cruises. From August to mid-November, take a cruise around Twofold Bay to witness majestic humpback whales during their southern migration. The cruise has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and an active Instagram presence, making it a must-do activity for anyone visiting Eden during whale-watching season.
- Address: Snug Cove Wharf, Eden, NSW
- Best time of the year: August to mid-November, during the whale migration season.
6. Haycock Point to Barmouth Beach
Explore the stunning coastal scenery along the Haycock Point to Barmouth Beach trail, an easy 4.6 km walk that offers breathtaking views and access to Barmouth Beach. The walk leads around Haycock Point, following the headland on the southern shore of the Pambula River estuary. This trail is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and featured on Instagram, making it an excellent choice for a relaxing day out in nature.
- Address: Haycock Point, Ben Boyd National Park, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the trail is accessible in all seasons.
7. Pinnacles Loop Walking Track
Discover the striking geological formations of the Pinnacles on the 4.5 km Pinnacles Loop Walking Track. The track takes you through a diverse landscape of heathland, forest, and coastal vegetation, leading to the Pinnacles lookout, where you can marvel at the colorful sandstone cliffs and enjoy sweeping views of the coastline. This easy walk is a popular attraction on TripAdvisor and Instagram, making it a must-visit for anyone interested in unique natural wonders.
- Address: Ben Boyd National Park, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the track is accessible in all seasons.
8. Mt Imlay Summit Track
Challenge yourself with a hike to the summit of Mount Imlay on the Mt Imlay Summit Track. This 6 km return hike takes you through diverse vegetation, including eucalyptus forests and heathlands, before reaching the summit, where you’ll be rewarded with panoramic views of the surrounding region. The track is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and featured on Instagram, making it an excellent choice for experienced hikers seeking a challenging adventure.
- Address: Mount Imlay National Park, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the track is accessible in all seasons.
9. Longstocking Brewery
Indulge in craft beer, cider, oysters, and wood-fired pizzas at Longstocking Brewery, an independent brewery and oyster bar in Pambula. Sample their award-winning Pale Ale and IPA, which have received silver medals, and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere in their beer garden. The brewery has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and an active Instagram presence, making it a must-visit for beer enthusiasts and foodies alike.
- Address: 10 Pioneer Ave, Tuggerah NSW 2259
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Friday: 10 am – 5 pm, Saturday: 10 am – 3 pm.
10. Aslings Beach
Relax on the beautiful Aslings Beach, a pristine stretch of sand perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and beachcombing. The beach is patrolled during the summer months, making it a safe spot for families with children. Aslings Beach is a popular attraction on TripAdvisor and Instagram, making it an ideal destination for a leisurely day by the sea.
- Address: Aslings Beach, Eden, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the beach is accessible in all seasons.
11. Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre
Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of marine life at the Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre. This interactive center offers hands-on exhibits, touch tanks, and educational displays that showcase the region’s diverse marine ecosystems. The center is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and has an active Instagram presence, making it an excellent destination for families and anyone interested in learning more about the underwater world.
- Address: 253 Imlay St, Eden NSW 2551, Australia
- Opening Hours: Check their website or call for current opening hours.
12. Snug Cove
Visit Snug Cove, a picturesque harbor nestled in Twofold Bay, home to a variety of cafes and the Sapphire Coast Discovery Marine Centre. Stroll along the waterfront, watch fishing boats come and go, and enjoy a coffee or a meal at one of the local cafes. Snug Cove is a popular attraction on TripAdvisor and Instagram, making it a delightful spot to relax and soak in the coastal atmosphere.
- Address: Snug Cove, Eden, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the harbor is accessible in all seasons.
13. Dive Eden
Experience the underwater wonders of Twofold Bay with Dive Eden, a local dive center offering snorkeling and scuba diving excursions. Explore the bay’s diverse marine life, including blue groupers, weedy sea dragons, and colorful corals. Dive Eden has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and an active Instagram presence, making it a must-try adventure for water enthusiasts and marine life lovers.
- Address: 203 Imlay St, Eden NSW 2551, Australia
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as diving and snorkeling are available in all seasons.
14. Bundian Way
Step back in time and explore the ancient Aboriginal traveling route known as the Bundian Way. This cultural experience offers a unique insight into the region’s indigenous history and provides an opportunity to appreciate the beautiful scenery along the way. The route is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor and featured on Instagram, making it an enriching experience for those interested in learning more about Australia’s indigenous heritage.By exploring these diverse activities and attractions in Eden, NSW, Australia, visitors can enjoy a memorable and exciting vacation filled with outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, and breathtaking natural beauty.
- Address: Bundian Way, Eden, NSW
- Best time of the year: Year-round, as the route is accessible in all seasons.
Towns Nearby Eden, NSW
1. Merimbula, NSW (20 km from Eden)
Merimbula is a charming coastal town known for its beautiful beaches, such as Main Beach and Bar Beach, and the Merimbula Boardwalk, which offers picturesque views of the lake and surrounding area. The town also features the Magic Mountain amusement park, perfect for a family day out.
2. Pambula, NSW (16 km from Eden)
Pambula is a small historic village with a rich gold mining history. The town is home to the Longstocking Brewery, where you can enjoy craft beer, cider, oysters, and wood-fired pizzas. Pambula Beach is also a popular spot for swimming and sunbathing.
3. Bega, NSW (67 km from Eden)
Bega is a rural town famous for its cheese production. Visit the Bega Cheese Heritage Centre to learn about the history of cheese making in the region and sample some delicious local cheeses. The town also offers a range of cafes, restaurants, and shops to explore.
4. Bermagui, NSW (131 km from Eden)
Bermagui is a picturesque fishing village known for its deep-sea fishing and beautiful beaches, such as Horseshoe Bay and Blue Pool. The village also features the Bermagui Fishermen’s Wharf, where you can enjoy fresh seafood and stunning ocean views.
5. Mallacoota, VIC (75 km from Eden)
Mallacoota is a small coastal town in Victoria, just across the border from New South Wales. The town is surrounded by the Croajingolong National Park and offers a range of outdoor activities, including bushwalking, birdwatching, and fishing. Mallacoota is also home to the Mallacoota Inlet, a beautiful estuary perfect for kayaking and boating.Each of these nearby towns offers unique attractions and experiences, making them worth a visit during your trip to Eden, NSW. From beautiful beaches and coastal walks to local breweries and cheese tasting, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in these charming towns and villages.
Getting To Eden, NSW
To get to Eden, NSW from common destinations or origins as a local tourist, you have several options for both public transport and driving.
- By bus: Greyhound Australia operates a bus service from Sydney to Eden. The journey takes approximately 6-7 hours. You can catch the bus from Sydney Central Station.
- By car: Drive south on the M1 and continue onto the A1 (Princes Highway) towards Eden. The drive takes approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
- By bus: V/Line operates a bus service from Melbourne to Eden. The journey takes approximately 7-8 hours. You can catch the bus from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne.
- By car: Drive east on the M1 (Monash Freeway) and continue onto the A1 (Princes Highway) towards Eden. The drive takes approximately 6 hours and 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
- By bus: Murrays Coaches operates a bus service from Canberra to Eden. The journey takes approximately 4 hours. You can catch the bus from Jolimont Centre in Canberra.
- By car: Drive southeast on the Monaro Highway (B23) and continue onto the Snowy Mountains Highway (B72) towards Eden. The drive takes approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
For public transport options from other nearby towns, use the Transport for NSW (https://transportnsw.info) website or app to plan your journey, as it provides detailed information on bus routes, schedules, and ticketing.